Thursday, December 29, 2005

On the 4th day of Christmas...
















These four little angels belonged to my mother and are older than me. Yes! That's very, very old. Thank you for pointing that out.

The poor things have had a rough ride over the years. If you look closely at 'N' right in the upper crook of the 'n' you'll see a dark spot. That would be where there's a piece missing as a result of poor 'N' losing her head. And there are several other spots that are chipped and bits that have been glued back on. But wear and tear notwithstanding, this is my favourite Christmas ornament because I remember it from my earliest Christmases.

Now my older daughter and I have a Christmas tradition in which we re-arrange the angels to spell something other than 'Noel,' with 'Leon' being the favourite. The trick being to do it without getting caught. Which in my ickle house is easier said than done.

Joyeux Lëon à toute!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

How about"

'EL NO!

December 30, 2005 at 12:49 a.m.  
Blogger jkirlin said...

Awww, that's cute.

I did somethng similar once with WELCOME blocks. and my favorite was CLO WEME. But now I am haunted and nearly everytime I see the workd Welcome I say cloweme to myself. Aiiiiiieeeeeee!

December 30, 2005 at 2:18 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

Joyeux Onel to you too :)

I have a few decorations that are about as old as me too, and everytime I put my tree up, they remind me of my mummy.

December 30, 2005 at 8:29 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Ivy - Yes, el no showed up once or twice.

jkirlin - cloweme... that sounds like something a clown would say. AAAAIIIIEEEEE!!!!!

Misty - Yep, Christmas is a bittersweet time for me. It's the time of the year I miss my parents the most.

December 30, 2005 at 9:09 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

My dad died on the 28th December 4 years ago, and my Gran went on the exact same day 2 years later, but I still carry on doing all the decorations and so because they both (and my mum* as well) loved it so much. I always feel that they're still around, maybe even more at this time of year.

*She decided to go at Easter. Mind you, I don't usually remember when that is...

December 30, 2005 at 7:31 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Misty - That's very positive attitude to have. Better than feeling sad. Maybe I'll look at it that way next year! Thanks, pet!

December 30, 2005 at 9:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum has three kings which, from the time we were young, always walked across the top of the television set every year. They are plasticky and old, but even though we are now in our forties, my brother and myself still insist that every year those three kings have to walk across the top of the television set. It just wouldn't be Christmas otherwise!

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2005 at 2:46 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

alan - There's no replacing those kinds of ornaments, is there?. BTW - I had emailed a copy of the photo of the angels to a friend in Australia and she remarked that it was hard to judge the scale from the photo. When I went to check (3" in case anyone's interested) I noticed that at some point during her visit yesterday, my older daughter had switched them to spell 'Leon.' And so it goes...

December 31, 2005 at 4:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home