Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Tag, you're it!

I have been tagged with my first meme. And I am taking it very seriously because this is the first time I've been tagged and how cool is that? Hawkowl has tasked me with listing five weird/strange things about me. Should be a snap...

1. I moved from Saint John, New Brunswick to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Write out the "saint" for the first and abbreviate it for the other. No one west of the New Brunswick/Québec border knows where either is or that they're two different cities about 1,000 kms apart. (except jkirlin and he knows everything)

2. My cat follows me everywhere. He's laying at my feet, curled up on the end of the blanket I have over my lap ('cause it's cold here in December, dudes!) as I type this. I have never had a cat do this before.

3. During my teen years, my friends and I ridiculed, I mean watched, a TV show out of Bangor, Maine, called "Stacey's Country Jamboree." Just the other day, I found out that jkirlin went to high school with Stacey's daughter.

4. I owe my very existence to the demon rum. But not in the way you think... my dad served in the Canadian Navy during WWII. While they were here in St. John's, his ship's company were given free tickets to a "Barn Dance." He and his buddies on board ship had decided before they got here that they would save up their daily tots of rum (definitely against regulations), have a card party when they got to St. John's and give the barn dance a miss. During the barn dance, a fire broke out. If my dad hadn't stayed on board ship to drink his rum, he may well have been one of the fatalities and I would never have been born.

5. I get premonitions and have been told I am audiovoyant. (similar to a clairvoyant except an audiovoyant "hears" the premonition, while the clairvoyant "sees" it). One of the times this seemed to be true was seven years ago. For about a month before I had a serious accident, I kept "hearing" the sound of a car crash almost everytime I approached an intersection.

On the morning of the crash, I was laying in bed considering whether to take my children with me when I went to pick up my friend about an hour out of town. They were at an age when they were just old enough to be left home alone for a couple of hours, so it was kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other as to whether they'd be better left at home or on the highway with me. The weather office had been predicting bad weather, but it wasn't supposed to hit until we'd be back in town. I was considering not going at all and had a feeling that I shouldn't, but then chided myself for being timid and decided I would go but would leave them at home and the minute I made that decision, the thought popped into my mind, "That way, they won't be with you when you have the accident." Note the second person... that's how I know the difference between my own thoughts and my premonitions. They're always in the second person.

When I was almost to my destination, I reached an open, windy area with a slight hill. I was the 4th in a line of cars. Part way up the hill, the road turned from wet to black ice from edge to edge. We were travelling about 90 kph and all started fishtailing, then my car started to spin counterclockwise. I thought I was going to slide into the car ahead of me and at the speed I was going, I was afraid my rear end would go right through theirs and hoped like hell there wasn't a baby or a small child in the back seat. I don't know how they got out of the way, but they must have only cleared my car by inches. Once I realized I wasn't going to hit them, this eerie calm came over me and I just hung on for the ride.

I finally slide off the road just at the right spot to wrap the right rear quarter panel around a short post. Seat belts only really work in head-on situations. In a sideways impact like that, they only stabilize your hips. From the waist up, I was flung sideways towards the passenger side door and ended up with a kind of lateral whiplash injury that still slightly affects me 7 years later. Had my children been with me, they would have been sitting in the passenger seat and the passenger side rear seat and their heads would have been violently flung against (and possibly through) the side windows. Good call, premonition!

And now I'm supposed to tag five other people, but it seems everyone I would tag has already been tagged. So I'll just link to their sites and you can go read their memes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

I'm tagged? So I have to think of 5 weird or strange things about me. Oh this should be fun. And easy... only 5, eh? :)

P.S. my cat is kind of a mama's boy, too!

December 23, 2005 at 7:39 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

I've already done that meme, but yours makes interesting reading! I get those sort of premonitions too, but I won't hog your comments box with a tale, I'll post sometime else instead :)

December 23, 2005 at 9:54 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Ivey - Stopping at 5 was the hard part for me...
Misty - I read yours! My dog and my cat talk to me too.

December 23, 2005 at 10:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home