Saturday, August 18, 2007

In the Chamber of The Duck, Part the First


It was a Duckworthy* moment. Made all the funnier by the unexpected venue.
Last night I was at a chamber music concert. Yes, yes, I'm one of those people. I know. Stop sniggering in the back.
Where was I? Oh, yes... last night I was at a chamber music concert. Which tends to be a very staid occasion. People on their best behaviour, some even wearing their best bib and tucker. A Very Nice Lady who looked to be about 60**, quite respectably dressed, sat down beside me. She very politely and congenially commented to me that we had very good seats, which we did. Fourth row, centre house. Close enough to watch the musicians (they don't half make funny faces) but far enough back not to get hit by any snapping cello strings (which happened on Wednesday night - the cello string snapping, not anyone getting hit - as far as I know).
All was fine during the first half of the concert.
During the intermission, I amused myself with my cell phone, checking e-mail, reading about the near-miss plane crash of a Canadian plane (not Scare Canada) in the US (gneep!) and checking Crackbook. I didn't notice that she had moved one seat over. Maybe she moved over to chat to someone, I didn't notice. Just as the concert began, she moved back over to the seat next to me, and as she stood up and stepped sideways... as The Duck would phrase it... FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP!!! The loudest fart I have heard in a long time. In public, anyway. Luckily, it wasn't an SBD but an LBB***.
I spent the next 15 minutes almost crying from trying to suppress the laughter****.
Tomorrow... In the Chamber of The Duck, Part the Second.

*As in Scary, not Jack and Vera.
**An interesting feature of the chamber music concert is that at 50, I was a good 30 years younger than the average audience member.
***Loud But Benign
****Because I am five years old.

10 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

*snerk*

Chamber 'pot' music, perhaps...?

Oh, and FIRST!

w00t!

August 18, 2007 at 10:04 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

LMAO!! What I would give to have heard that!!

August 18, 2007 at 1:20 p.m.  
Blogger Anna said...

I hope her a^se wasn't face level with you at the time! *****

Sounds like she brought the wind instrument.

***** Because I am five years old too.

August 19, 2007 at 12:04 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

The Australian phrase "You Ripper!" comes to mind.

I'm giggling like a buffoon right now.****


****'cos I'm... you know.

'nkoyr' - the ricochet noise from a broken cello string

August 19, 2007 at 3:56 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

At least, I hope it was.

August 20, 2007 at 12:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Radio Canada recording it (the recital) for posterity ? If so there is probably a sound engineer swaering and cursing about now.

August 20, 2007 at 3:15 a.m.  
Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

Did she follow through? Did she?

August 20, 2007 at 5:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did it make you get sick innda hedge?

tokarev

September 6, 2007 at 10:35 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I don't know if Radio Canada (that's the French CBC station) was recording, but CBC certainly was.

She did not follow through.

No need for hedges. It was LBB.

September 6, 2007 at 10:39 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

And welcome to the House of Wrath, Tokarev! It's pretty quiet here right about now, but things will pick up soon.

Honest.

No, really.

September 6, 2007 at 10:41 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home