Saturday, September 22, 2007

How to not get things done


I've just been reading Alan Sharpe's post about the difficulties of working from home and his challenges sound oh-so-familiar. He's self-employed and although I'm a nine-to-fiver, I have the same experience every Saturday. I have great ambitions for my Saturdays. Think of the things I can get done! All those household tasks and fun things, too, that I can't do whilst chained to my desk at work all week. And every Saturday starts the same way...
I get up with plans to mow the lawn, paint, finally tackle that mountain of paperwork, clean out the kitchen cupboards, bundle up unwanted clothing for the Salvation Army charity store, prune trees, clean the car, groom the dog, and so forth. And here's what really happens...
Before I can do all that, I need coffee... Oh, wait! Sheets need laundering. I'll just dash to the basement and stuff them in the washer. Hmm... may as well change the girls' beds, too.

Coffee... Oh, wait! The dog needs to go out.
Coffee... Oh, wait! Look what the cat's doing! That's so cute! I must take a picture of it.
Get camera from purse... Oh, wait! There's my Palm Pilot and it needs to be recharged.
Plug in Palm ... Best recharge the iPod while I'm at it.

iPod dock needs to be attached to the computer... I'll just boot up the computer...

Boot computer... I wonder if anyone's commented on my new pics on Flickr...

Go to Flickr... Ha! That Wonderferret's a funny guy. I wonder if Ricardipus has posted anything lately.

Go to Ricardiblog... Wow! He's 40! He doesn't look it... Coffee...

Coffee... It's getting time I ate. *makes toast, FINALLY makes coffee*
Om nom nom and slurp! I'll just surf while I eat my toast...

Ha, ha! That Alan. He always hits the nail right on the head. I'll have to comment...
Type comment... ... ... realize my comment is turning into a blog post...
And here we are...
Coffee, anyone?

But first, those sheets need to go into the dryer...






16 Comments:

Blogger Andy Ramblings said...

and before you know, it's 6pm.

September 22, 2007 at 11:10 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Every weekend around here is exactly the same as you just described.

Sigh.

Except next week, when the latest round of ballet/swimming/soccer lessons starts. Then I'll *really* get nothing done, not even blogposting... :(

September 22, 2007 at 5:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here as well except
a) No coffee in the house so I have to go out for coffee and if I'm going to do that I may as well stay out and have eggs benedict for breakfast.
b) No cat or dog (yet)
c) Washing is done on Sunday
d) No trees or paperwork or grass

but

I do have toast (wholewheat) and sour cherry jam

I just don't know how to cope with all the spare time I have. I willing to sell some of my "spare time credits." They are like carbon credits but time based.

September 22, 2007 at 7:00 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

@ Mr. Ferret - Come here and finish my painting. That'll use up those spare time credits.

Or drop off my hazardous household waste. I spent TWO HOURS in a line-up to do that today.

Bring the toast and sour cherry jam.

*dreamily thinks of sour cherry jame*

September 22, 2007 at 7:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I did any painting so you may not want me to be doing that. I'll drop the waste off 'cause I like landfills (lots of weird stuff in landfills)

Sour Cherry jam is gooooood. Its from Croatia and has travelled well.

WV:irjxe name of the person who bottled my jam

September 22, 2007 at 8:31 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

This wasn't the landfill. Just a boring sit in the car and then a bunch of guys throwing the stuff into trucks.

*jam. wants some*

September 22, 2007 at 8:45 p.m.  
Blogger jkirlin said...

Alan Thicke??

September 23, 2007 at 12:11 a.m.  
Blogger jkirlin said...

oh..Sharpe. Nevermind.

September 23, 2007 at 12:12 a.m.  
Blogger nanuk said...

It seems coffee is your gateway drug.

September 23, 2007 at 10:31 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Never mind that. What time do you call this to streel in?

September 23, 2007 at 1:18 p.m.  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Blogging is the next candidate for a 12 step program. I do the same thing, go to check a few posts and next thing I know it's 11PM.

September 23, 2007 at 3:56 p.m.  
Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

You should come over and use our rubbish tip. No queues, just a big hole in the ground on Portland.

Only a 3000 mile drive, some swimming involved.

September 24, 2007 at 5:25 a.m.  
Blogger owntwohands said...

SOOOOOO been there. It's bad enough when it's something you enjoy doing, but it's almost impossible to get around to doing the things you hate. Like gardening, in my case. It's a good thing that our rose bush (the only plant I actually intended to have in the garden this year) is hardy, because it's in competition with some SERIOUS weeds...

September 24, 2007 at 2:02 p.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

I've changed my mind. It's not just weekends that are like this around here, it's practically every evening.

September 25, 2007 at 12:28 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

My day -

1) Wake up. (hopefully)
2) Switch on 'puter.
3) Go make coffee.
4) Take painkillers with coffee.
5) Wait 30 minutes.
6) Blog. (hopefully)
7) Think about housework.
8) Do Flickry things.
9) Think more about housework.
10) Realize that no-one is ever going to see house* so carry on with 'puter stuff &c.
11) Give up on housework.
12) Go to pub.
13) Eat.
14) Go to spleep (hopefully)
15.Hope that will wake up in morning.

I really need a life.

One that can afford me a cleaner.

*Not anyone I care about, anyway, as in 'nobody to impress'.

September 25, 2007 at 7:22 p.m.  
Blogger Cooper said...

That's why I gave up working at home - just too many distrctions. I have found other places at which to "work from home"

September 29, 2007 at 5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home