Wednesday, October 21, 2009


Dedicated to that most wonderful time of the year... Hallowe'en!


Ah! My Favourite Costume… was also the easiest. Last minute invite to a Halloween party. What to do? The kids were big enough that their costumes worked for me. I chose the one from “Scream” – black hooded caftan-style thingy with the big white mask. Which, I discovered, looks REALLY spooky if you tilt your head to the side very, very, very s-l-o-w-l-y…
I went to my friends’ house and refused to speak. In reality, I was looking for the hostess and wanted to do the head tilt thingy first before I identified myself. Unbeknownest to me, she had died her hair red (was a blond) and had it teased all crazy-like as part of a witch costume. So… I couldn’t find her.
While I was wandering around through the party looking for her (big house, lots of guests, took a while), people kept asking her husband who the heck that creepy non-speaking person was. He finally came up to me and said, in a very stern tone, “Okay, WHO ARE YOU??!” I think he was genuinely scared, which was particularly funny as I’m 5′2″ and he’s 6′4″ and a former football player. He could squat me in a second. I growled, “Where’s Wife’s Name?” and he pointed her out. Once I’d done my head tilt, I tipped the mask back and they all laughed like sillies, because I am pretty harmless. Of course, with the mask on, I could have been any crazy and armed, for all they knew.
Later that night, I was awarded the prize for scariest costume. OoooooOOOOoooOOOOooo!
What has been your favourite costume?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Own Two Hands said...

I'm pretty into Hallowe'en and I've made/bought some fun costumes over the years. I think my fav was this one, though (Jack Jack from The Incredibles).

(More Hallowe'en pics here, if you're interested. The werewolf and Alice/Mad Hatter ones rank pretty high on my personal list.)

October 21, 2009 at 10:47 p.m.  
Blogger Erin said...

This year at work they're doing a theme - the Wizard of Oz. I'll be going as a Banshee (or possibly The Morrigan), of course. ;)

October 22, 2009 at 8:38 a.m.  
Blogger #Debi said...

There were banshees in the Wizard of Oz?

I'm a fraidy cat and generally go for cutesy costumes rather than scary ones. When I used to belly dance, it made for a nice costume, if it wasn't too cold out...

October 22, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.  
Blogger #Debi said...

Last year I was Wynonna Judd, and looked very much like her...with all the makeup and the fake hair and stuff...

October 22, 2009 at 8:31 p.m.  
Blogger TRT said...

It's not the costume that was scary!

And BK asked me for ideas for a Halloween costume. I said he should go as some kind of monster - oh, hang on, you said you wanted *costume* ideas.

October 23, 2009 at 6:12 a.m.  
Blogger Erin said...

Debi - you are correct - no banshees in the Wizard of Oz. That will be my point next Friday. ;)

As for the bellydancing, did you find it was good exercise? There's a place down the road from me that I was considering trying out but haven't spoken to anyone who's actually danced. Enquiring mind need to know!

October 23, 2009 at 8:25 a.m.  
Blogger #Debi said...

Yes, it was. I enjoyed it very much, especially making and wearing the costumes. Now my belly dances by itself... I'll have to post some photos on FB sometime...

October 23, 2009 at 8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Erin said...

Debi - LOL! Mine too, but I'm trying to make it stop. :)

October 23, 2009 at 7:22 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Yes, the bellies, they have a mind of their own after a certain age.

TRT - Stop trying to traumatise your children. Sheesh!

The Jack Jack costume was stellar, Kat, but then you've always excelled at costumes. And have much more ambition than I do. My next costume may be "fat, middle-aged woman." Oh. Wait. That's my everyday outfit...

October 23, 2009 at 9:37 p.m.  
Blogger patchouli pundit said...

Wait--I just realized that my last comment sounds like I will post photos of my belly dancing by itself. That will NEVER happen... :)

October 24, 2009 at 8:36 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Of course not. Belly cute as yours need never dance alone. :)

October 24, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.  
Blogger #Debi said...

Awwww...

October 25, 2009 at 9:01 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

We gots ta stick tagether.

October 25, 2009 at 6:48 p.m.  
Blogger owntwohands said...

Here's this year's: mine and Eve's.

Loved 'em but... No wings next year. They're a pain.

November 1, 2009 at 9:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home