Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Guilt, thy name is me

Why do I feel such guilt whenever I buy anything for myself? I just purchased this headboard pictured here online. It is reasonably priced and beyond practical. It's not a $6,000 antique fussy, canopy princess-y type headboard, (NTTAWWT) it is a sturdy, very practical with a little twist of style (in my mind, anyway) bookcase head board.

I have a full time job. I don't squander my money. My last furniture purchase was in 2002 or thereabouts - a couch/sofa/chesterfield (pick your vernacular) and matching arm chair for which I paid $125.00, second hand. ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS CDN, people. It was about 15 years old, but in mint condition, having been literally only driven by a little old lady. New, similar sets would probably have a zero in between that 5 and that decimal point.

I have not had a headboard for my bed since 1999. Give or take a year.

Whence the guilt?

A certain no-longer-married-to-me person has a lot to answer for. But after 15 years, shouldn't my sense of balance have been restored? Other people redecorate their entire freakin' houses every couple of years. And here I am, second guessing the purchase of a relatively inexpensive piece of furniture that has needed replacing since the late 1990s.

Insanity. It's not for the weak of heart.


Update Also bought this comforter set... but not the throw pillows. Yeah, that made me feel guilty, too, and I haven't bought a new duvet/comforter in about 10 years. I am SUCH a spendthrift. Go, me.

P.S. - It is very cozy and warm. SQUEEEE!

7 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Very nice!

Worrying about spending money may also stem from days gone by when you had very little of it, and now that you do, your mind still reprimands you for spending it on things not considered "essential". Just a very brief and inexpensive analysis for you. But the ex still has something to anser for, I think...

Just think how far you've come. =)

June 2, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.  
Blogger cala said...

Man, you sound just like me! Except, I don't have a nice place to put nice furniture so I just stick with the ratty tatty stuff. One day.....

June 2, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I'm not doing too badly at the moment. I have the ability to get into debt, at least. I suppose that's some sort of indication of a small degree of material success in our society. Such as that's worth.

Oh, lord! I don't think 'nice' is the first word that springs to mind regarding my place, either. It's definitely a work in progress.

June 2, 2010 at 2:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the looks of both of your new purchases, and I know exactly how you feel about spending money on something you want but don't necessarily need. For example, I don't have a single piece of living room furniture that isn't a hand-me-down or a salvage... Actually most of my furniture is 2nd-hand, borrowed, or Ikea. :P

June 6, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Except that was my point. I DID need both. The previous comforter was faded and had actually torn in places and I haven't had a headboard for about 12 years. That's why the guilt is so unfounded. I wasn't splurging on a whim, or just because a blue bedroom is SO 2009, yet the guilt, it still raises its ugly head.

You also have to take our age differences into account. You can still be considered "starting out." From where I'm sitting, I can see the whites of retirement's eyes.

June 6, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

i think you should take up drinking and playing mah jong solitaire online. then when these thoughts of guilt come over you, you can break out a new tray of ice cubes, pour yourself a healthy slug of something, and concentrate on finding two of those damned tiles that match.

you sound very deserving of whatever nice things u want--at whatever price.

June 6, 2010 at 10:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I didn't realize your old stuff was in such bad shape. But even if you take age differences into account, I'm pretty sure I come by it honestly. I mean, my parents still have the same bedroom furniture they had before I was born... Well, except for the bed itself, which sprung a leak sometime in the early '90's.

June 6, 2010 at 11:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home