Saturday, April 08, 2006

It was a snap!














I spent most of today at a portrait photography course. Not a terribly in-depth one, obviously. How much can be taught in an 8-hour period? But we learned the basics. The instructor was a very
personable local photographer who knows his technical stuff as well as how to work with people, which is essential if you are going to be a portrait photographer.





He had co-ordinated the class with some high school grad photos, so that we got free models and they got free grad snaps. A good deal for all. We students got to use some of his kick-ass studio quality equipment and I think the kids who modelled had a good time.








Most of my shots were crap, as I had the lowest-end camera models there (an HP PhotoSmart R607 and a C618 - fine for snapshots but not for studio work). I had to shoot without flash so as not to interfere with the cameras that were actually sophisticated enough to make use of the studio flash, so a lot of my shots were blurry, even with the ISO set to 400 and diddling around with shutter speeds. But it was still fun and I learned a fair bit. I did manage to get this shot, which accidentally looks like it has been photoshopped within an inch of its life, but this is how is came out of the camera.

The main thing I learned? I need a better camera.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya, Dawn!

It's Kat (Dale's daughter, yes, that Kat). I have a blog too, unfortunately not with Blogger, but with LiveJournal. You can visit me at http://atomic-toaster.livejournal.com/ ... But I am a "friends-only" account, so you might have to sign up for a free account if you want to read it... *sigh* Figures, right?

Let me know what your LJ journal address is if you sign up! I will keep reading your blog, though!

-Kat

April 8, 2006 at 9:34 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I've opened an account and posted a comment. I think you have to add me as a friend before I can read your journal? Bear with me, I'm old and my learning curve is exceedlingly shallow.

April 8, 2006 at 10:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I had to add you as a friend, and I have done so... You will be able to read my entries now when you're logged in. To keep your account active, though, you'll have to update every few months -- even if it's just a one-liner. Otherwise, they'll delete the account. They wouldn't if you were paying for it, of course, but unused free accounts can dissappear... :P

April 9, 2006 at 2:05 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

I'm jealous now. I want to go on a a photography course now too!

yay for fun days :) And nice photo btw

April 9, 2006 at 7:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misty could do an "ooh look! *Clicky*" course, and it wouldn't matter what camera you had then, your piccies would be brilliant.

April 9, 2006 at 10:09 a.m.  
Blogger The Aunt said...

I always have my eyes shut. I defy anyone to take a picture of me without my eyes shut.

OK, with my eyes open AND not gurning.

April 9, 2006 at 3:56 p.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Canon is coooooool.....

April 9, 2006 at 7:20 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Mr. Fab - Don't be too sure.

GW - I've never minded using either camera and have gotten excellent shots with both, but they were not up to the task of hooking up to the studio flashes. Such is life. I just wanted to learn how to pose people better for the photos I need to take at work.

Aunty M - I've seen two shots of you with your eyes open. And lovely eyes they are, too.

MP - Me want Canon. Me want Canon BAD!!!

Misty - I want to go photo-hunting with you in London. Or here. It would be fun to see it through eyes unfamiliar to the landscape.

April 9, 2006 at 10:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saturday... what the heck did I do on Saturday?

Nice photo btw - seems like the kids were having fun. What a great op for them, prom photos for free.

My solution to photography is this: if you take 10,000 pictures, *one* of them is bound to turn out well.

'Course I'm still using film... egad.

April 10, 2006 at 11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

Dawn: If I get the airfare, I'll be over there like a shot, and you're more than welcome to come over to Blighty anytime :)Photos a-go-go!
Now that would be quite a distance to travel for a blogmeet! ;)

April 10, 2006 at 12:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. The studio flashes should have had a follow mode where they trigger off your flash.

April 11, 2006 at 9:56 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Yes, they were using flash "slaves" but that meant I couldn't use my flash because it would trigger them, ruining the photos of the people using the more advanced cameras which were hooked in via hot shoe.

Me no got neither hot shoe on my little snapshot cameras. Sigh.

April 11, 2006 at 11:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind. I put an *ooh look! Clicky* up on my flickr stream for you. See if you can guess which one it is!

This is from my nature walk in London today.

April 13, 2006 at 5:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home