Saturday, August 26, 2006

I am geek


Hear me download.

So, what does a middle-aged geek do when she can't make up her mind about a new piece of gadgetry? Find another piece of gadgetry she can make her mind up about and buy it!

I am now the proud owner of a Palm Z22, the eensy-weensy baby of the Palm Pilot family. I was dragging around a daytimer, granted a small one as daytimers go, but it was starting to feel cumbersome. And writing really teeny tiny words was getting on my nerves.

So...off I go to 'Stapleless' and low and behold, the Z22, which I have been coveting for at least a year, is on sale! If there's anything I like better than a gadget, it's a sale. And a GADGET ON SALE??? Oh, the bliss! The joy!

It synchronizes with my PC and I have downloaded (uploaded? transferred!) my calendar and contacts with the tap of a stylus. It has eReader! I can carry several books around with me in the palm of my hand! And entertain myself during the innumerable times I find myself sitting/standing around waiting for a doctor's appointment or whatever by reading something other than a 10-year old magazine.

It holds photos! I can "beam" information to other Palm owners. Okay, I only know one, but she and I have already used this feature. It has a grocery list, a world clock so I can know if it's a good time to look for both my friend in Australia and my friends in England online or whether they're snoozing. Yeah, I know. It's called a clock. But that involves math. And none of my clocks have the cute little pic of the globe with the spleepy bits in shadow.

And what is the benefit to you, you may well ask. Well, now you never have to worry again about whether it would be appropriate to use an exclamation mark or not, for I have used up the entire world's quota in this post alone. You don't have to thank me now.

And now to find the "vacuum the living room" function... I know it's here somewhere...

11 Comments:

Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

How about a "Mow the lawn" attachment?

And an "the other thing" add-on* whilst you're at it.

Said too much. Again.

* That's "Add-on" not "strap-on". I could never bring myself to lower the tone.

August 27, 2006 at 7:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...but does it tell jokes...?

Cor blummey! Do you set over-complicated recognition words just for me? My eyes ain't what they used to be ya know.

August 27, 2006 at 8:52 a.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

I finally gave up my steam-powered cell phone for a shiny new Motorola flippity thing, and it has approximately 10,000 functions that I.never.use.

With a palm, I'd be totally lost. Also, I once attended a legal closing where the entire room full of lawyers had Blackberries, which kinda put me off handhelds for a while...


P.S. tc - my recognition word was 'eatnlpg'. I'm currently trying to figure out what 'nlpg' stands for, and if Blogger's insulting me...

August 27, 2006 at 1:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what I use my palm for...

;-)

August 27, 2006 at 9:01 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Scaryduck - The lawn mower attachment was extra. A lot extra. And thanks for not lowering the tone. I know I can always count on you. Especially after you take your shoes off.

TC - Yes, yes, I do. But! If you encounter a verification word that you don't like, just click on publish and you'll get a new one.

R'pus - I have a shiny Samsung flippety phone. One thing I don't use it for is to surf the web. Insane. But up until getting the Palm I did use the calendar consistently. And have used the calculator.

Being in a roomful of lawyers is always tramatizing. In fact, being an a room with one can be fairly scary.

eatnlpg - Just a plug for Newfoundland pork farmers.

Mr. Fab - Isn't it just?

TRT - Oh, Audrey!

August 27, 2006 at 9:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of Her Maj's friends has a Blackberry. Watching her go through cold turkey when she comes over and forgets it is quite interesting.

August 28, 2006 at 11:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now to find the "vacuum the living room" function...

Psssht, they make gadgets that'll do that for you too. A Roomba will vacuum for you and a Scooba will mop your floors. Honestly, these would be great to keep up with the cat hair at our place...

August 28, 2006 at 12:16 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I considered a Roomba but then realized I'd have to buy the attachement to scrape the cat and dog off the ceiling after it was finished.

August 28, 2006 at 12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Misty said...

Have you found the 'make the tea', function yet?

*not at all envious of shiny new palm top btw, honest*

August 30, 2006 at 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Do I have the "send a photo" function on my new dustbuster?

August 30, 2006 at 3:28 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Misty - Yes. And the coffee function as well. The "cute boyfriend" option seems not to have been bundled with the original software, however. Pity.

Merlinprincesse - Yes, you do. Just look under the handle... a little further down... there. That button there. Push it.

No need to thank me.

August 31, 2006 at 3:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home