Saturday, January 06, 2007

It's murder, I tell ya!














Apologies for the quality of the shot. For obvious reasons, I couldn't use a flash and, let's face it, I was barely awake. And before you say, "There aren't 30 crows in this picture!" This is just one tree. It had over 20 when I first looked out and there were about 18 left when I took this picture.

On Wednesday morning past, the alarm clock rang. As I was turning it off, I heard a crow cawing from one of the trees in the back yard. Nothing unusual there. Then, I heard a few more join in...

And then I heard a whole freakin' choir of 'em cawing like mad things. I looked out the window and I swear I counted over thirty crows sitting in the trees at the top of my yard, every one of 'em screaming at the top of his little birdy lungs.

What's that old rhyme?

One crow, sorrow
Two crows, joy...

Any chance 30 crows means The cheque from your winning lottery ticket will be delivered by the man of your dreams in a BMW convertible registered in your name on the same day you fit into those size 7 jeans again?

No?

What?

Thirty crows, you will find more crow poo than usual in your yard next spring.

Oh.

So, that's nice. It'll be like the apocalypse but with more poo.

Caw.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's good eating on one of them.

January 6, 2007 at 4:02 p.m.  
Blogger Richard Wintle said...

Hm, I was about to say:

30 crows means crow pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

But a) Scary beat me to it, more or less, and b) I like crows, annoyingly loud though they be at times.

*flaps away looking murderous

January 6, 2007 at 7:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crows weren't in a rhyme, magpies were/are...

1 for sorrow,
2 for joy,
3 for a girl,
4 for a boy
5 for silver,
6 for gold,
7 for a secret never to be told.

January 6, 2007 at 9:30 p.m.  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Yes, they were/are. Here in The Colonies, we don't say it with magpies, we say it with crows:

1 crow sorrow
2 crows joy
3 crows a girl
4 crows a boy
5 crows silver
6 crows gold
7 for a secret that will never be told

And I find it very disturbing that some of you recommend eating the poor things.

But what's most disturbing of all? What are we all doing on a Saturday night viewing blogs? GO OUT! GET DOWN WIT YER BAD SELF!

*leaves*

January 6, 2007 at 9:49 p.m.  
Blogger DCveR said...

Teach'em to speak! Believe me, they are better than parrots when one manages to teach a crow to speak! No kidding!

January 7, 2007 at 5:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've a recipe for crow pie somewhere, if you're interested :)

January 8, 2007 at 4:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home